Wireless IP Cameras : If I Only Had a Wire…
Filed under: Cables, CCTV Articles, CCTV Camera, General Technology, GeoVision, IP Cameras, Networking, Quick Overview, Tips n Tricks
If you checked out our GeoVision CBW120 / CBW220 Review, you may have noticed that setting up a wireless security camera system within your home/small office can be a breeze.
Setting up an outdoor wireless system can be easy as well…though it will require one extra piece of equipment: a wireless transmitter/receiver package. This essentially allows you to choose any camera you’d prefer and attach it to the ‘wireless bridge.’
A few important reminders:
- You’ll need power available where you’re setting up the camera to provide power for both the camera and the transmitter
- Analog and IP cameras can operate through a wireless transmitter, although the analog cameras will need a video server to interface with the transmitter
- Several cameras can plug into one transmitter/receiver
- A wireless receiver is paired with each transmitter
- The wireless receiver(s) then plug into a switch and then into the DVR for recording/monitoring
Wireless systems can be a great solution for hard-to-wire applications. A good transmitter/receiver combination will provide high-quality images at a range of up to 1.8 miles!